Thank you all for a great season despite the pandemic. Your support and encouragement has made it easy for me to want to continue to keep the club rolling. We’ve had many great guests and some great announcements along the way!
As promised (and if you missed last nights meeting, which happened to end at 1:20am) here are the details for the CMBTC competition.
We will be pushing back the date of the club kit (Porter) competition to the start of the new season. We still encourage you to brew your club kit sooner than later (especially for the freshness of the ingredients). Porter is a style that will age well. So be sure to brew it soon and reserve at least 3 bottles for the start of the next season.
The CMBTC will run and judge a competition for our club using their malt! Here are the rules:
- Must use 50-55% of CMBTC malt as a base malt (~2kg for a 5 gallon brew)
- Beer styles that utilize 100% pale malt must be supplemented with an outsourced pale malt (Briess, Rahr, Canada Malting). This may be subject to change*
- Beer styles that utilize adjuncts or specialty malts will not be provided by the CMBTC.
- Choose your beer style, hops, adjuncts, malts. Sky is the limit.
- Beers must be bottled for submission (two bottles must be provided).
- 1 entry per person (due to the limited quantity of malt available).
- Last day to sign up for the competition is June 8, 2021.
- CMBTC malt can be picked up at Grain to Glass (579 St. Mary’s Rd)
- Finished entries will be dropped off at Grain to Glass with the proper entry information (will be provided in the next week or two)
- Beers will be judged by CMBTC staff on the following criteria:
- 50% by True to style
- 50% by judges personal enjoyment
- Brewers will receive feedback on their beers (off-flavours and possible causes)
- Winners will be announced at a virtual awards ceremony! We encourage all Brew Bombers to attend, even if you didn’t enter the competition!
- There will be prizes! 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and Honourable mentions!
- The prizes are still TBD but both CMBTC and Grain to Glass will be providing the prize packs.
- We do know that 1st place will be getting free malt for a year (1 bag of malt/month while supplies last) + an invite to the CMBTC Christmas open house (when it is possible).
This is an all grain competition, extract will not be allowed. The CMBTC wants to encourage all grain brewing for those that have not tried it. Also, they’re hoping to entice some home brewers to try their hand a home malting. I know that some on this list already have!
With that being said, if you are new to all grain, or have not done that yet and don’t know where to start then please feel free to reach out to myself or others in the club. We’ll be happy to help. Over the next week or so I will post some recipe baselines for those that are unsure where to start.
This is a creative competition. Any styles are welcome. Only the malt from the CMBTC is provided, you will provide the remaining ingredients.
We will email everyone when the malt is ready to pick up from Grain to Glass. At that time we’ll also have some timelines for when to have the brew completed and submitted by and when the virtual award ceremony will be. Right now, roughly, we’re thinking having the brew complete by the end of June/early July and the awards ceremony mid-July’ish.
We highly encourage members to apply. If you don’t have the proper equipment we can help you work out a small batch recipe that you can do a Brew In A Bag (BIAB) format using the biggest pot you have at home. You may need to pick up a $15 BIAB bag.
First things first though, we need to know how many people are participating. So we need you to sign up by filling out the online form. You should have received a link via email. If not, then please contact the club president (president @ winnipegbrewbombers . ca) This will let the CMBTC know how much malt to divide up amongst everyone.
You have until June 8th to enter. Don’t delay, enter today!
Let me know if you have any questions.